Recipes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zom-zom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a single pea? My mistake.

Personally, I would never use potatoes in a stock. It clouds it up and makes it too thick.

Onions, Carrots, Celery, bay leaves (try to get fresh, they're much better) peppercorns are all good.

Try fennel bulbs and stalks. Parsnips, leeks, parsley and scallions are a good idea. I wouldn't use squash, sweet potatoes or zucchini. I tend to use handfuls of fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, whatever is in season, cheap or available. Splash in some white wine. Use some shallots too.

And don't bring it to a boil, bring it up slowly and let it just simmer. Boiling will cloud it up, and I think a nice clear stock full of flavor is much more appealing.

Depending on what you're making it for, whether it's general purpose or for a certain soup, you can flavor it to match the dish with spices, herbs, etc. I don't smash the hell out of the vegetables when I'm straining, again I think it clouds up the stock. Just let them drain by themselves a few minutes.

Being able to make a good stock is one of the most important foundations of cooking.
FreakStorm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Weathers wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of meat on that bone. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going!
trailerdiva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zom-zom wrote:
It wasn't a single pea? My mistake.

Personally, I would never use potatoes in a stock. It clouds it up and makes it too thick.

Onions, Carrots, Celery, bay leaves (try to get fresh, they're much better) peppercorns are all good.

Try fennel bulbs and stalks. Parsnips, leeks, parsley and scallions are a good idea. I wouldn't use squash, sweet potatoes or zucchini. I tend to use handfuls of fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, whatever is in season, cheap or available. Splash in some white wine. Use some shallots too.

And don't bring it to a boil, bring it up slowly and let it just simmer. Boiling will cloud it up, and I think a nice clear stock full of flavor is much more appealing.

Depending on what you're making it for, whether it's general purpose or for a certain soup, you can flavor it to match the dish with spices, herbs, etc. I don't smash the hell out of the vegetables when I'm straining, again I think it clouds up the stock. Just let them drain by themselves a few minutes.

Being able to make a good stock is one of the most important foundations of cooking.
Iagree with everything you said.
Vrooman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's throwing the masses a bone stock. Thanks, z-z.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on the intertrons, made a triple batch and its pretty good. The heat sneaks up on ya, and I find the cayenne to be a better (and milder) alternative to the scotch bonnet peppers that most recipes call for.

CARIBBEAN JERK RUB

Makes about 1/2 cup

2 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
4 teaspoons crushed dry thyme leaves
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> • WEBZINE All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: