One Kickboxing pic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: One Kickboxing pic Reply with quote

TLH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should no longer be looking for pats on the back. Pats on the back rarely pay the rent- and when they do, it's never comfortable for the receiver of said pats.

Are you selling that stuff yet?
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hired to shoot that event. I think the promoter even paid me more than I asked for.

Other than that, I'm done with boxing and MMA. The frustrations and dirty, shitty people are endless, and the money is non-existent. I find more honest in respectable characters in professional wrestling, which I will continue to shoot as long as it pays.

TLH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well your stuff is way tight- a person would have to be really brain dead to not see that. Maybe you need help with your business sense? You're photography and prep is really solid- you need to look at everything about your business and ask "what part of this isn't working for me?" What part is dragging you down?

It may be you- I had to learn to make money- I was totally committed to losing money for years, and then at a certain point I realized you have to be totally on top of your business to make money. You dont have to sell out- you just have to make sure your ass is covered. You have to be on top of the paperwork- the original contract, the invoice, etc....

When you reflect upon people an image of a confidant, organized and totally on-it type of character- they feel confident giving you their dollars for services rendered.

It's no bullshit- everything is PR, and people should act accordingly. TV- newspapers- whatever- it's all P.R. Confidence in (whatever you have to sell) is key. You dont need to be the best- you just need to appear to be the best, and everything else will fall into line.

You're really good at shooting what you shoot. I hope you dont stop doing that. If you figure out the business end of it- and the marketing- maybe you can make it churn up some income for your troubles.

Later- Toby
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an asshole, so my subject matter fit my style and sensibilities rather well in the sense that I let people know that I won't be fucked around: no money, no photos, no "publicity" as payment.

Beyond that I'm either going to have to find new subjects to shoot, or sell my equipment. There's just no market here- largely thanks to other "photographers" giving away work just to be noticed and cheap promoters.

Quote:
You have to be on top of the paperwork- the original contract, the invoice, etc....

There largely aren't any contracts considering most transactions are $100 or less. Some notable exceptions were with MMA Worldwide/Tapout Magazine, a former UFC fighter purchasing a Licensing Agreement, a Texas-based event company I've worked a few gigs for, and a gentleman's establishment I've done work for.

But over all, I agree- PR, professionalism, and keeping on top of business is the way to go. Just gotta find a new niche to do it with.

As a side note, I figured it would be in my best interest to seek advice from above in the form of legendary boxing photographer Holly Stein (seriously- she was shooting this shit on film for Don King):

http://hollystein.photoshelter.com/gallery/Boxing/G0000ON2p_em5CB4

and she told me how it was- there ain't a whole lot of money in boxing, so go get paid elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> • DIY All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: