Jumping out of an Airplane!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Jumping out of an Airplane! Reply with quote

It occurs to me since I don't post here very often that some of you may not have heard about my skydiving adventure. Mrs. Freak and I decided that we wanted to do something different for our 18th anniversary which was June 19th. So we decided to jump out of an airplane at 13,000 feet. We got a whole package deal where we stayed at a B & B the night before had dinner, flowers, breakfast yadda yadda..... and then it was too cloudy for them to fly that day! What a letdown but we did have a nice little get-away from the kids etc...

Fast forward to last Friday July 1st. We rescheduled and did it! and it was SO FUCKING AWESOME!!! nothing like it. They were tandem jumps so we had a "jumpmaster" connected to us. We got quick instruction on what was going to happen and how to position our body once we jumped etc. Then strapped into the gear and board the plane. We got to wear altimeters to tell how high we were and the plane flew up to 13,000 feet. First a solo jumper jumped out and then it was Mrs. Freak's turn. Very weird to see your wife disappear out the open door of a plane and fall...... but 15 seconds later it was my turn... WHEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freefalling is the coolest feeling! For about a minute we just fell to Earth, then the parachute was deployed and it was 5 or 6 minutes of floating down... I got to steer the chute and we did some twirls etc... fun! Since Mrs Freak was a little ahead of me I got to see her land from the air. She said it was freaky to look up and see me still freefalling once her chute was open. Just a crazy experiance.

We bought more jumps and are going to jump from 18,000 feet next time. I am so hooked! I want to train and get a license....

We went to Westside Skydivers The place actually has a pretty punk rock vibe to it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

We will have videos of our jumps up on the youtube soon. Took an hour to process them and our kids were there and bored (but they did get to see us come down) plus it was 100 degrees out so they are mailing them.

Anyone else here ever do this?
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumping out of an Airplane! Reply with quote

Sonicfreak wrote:
Anyone else here ever do this?

Never. I'm not into dying like that.
Missy Bigbritches

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-falling as a loose definition? Then yes.
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonicfreak Skydiving 7/01/11
Reverend Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to imagine you wouldn't fall as fast without 175 lbs. of guy strapped to your back......still, that looked like a good time.
rahpower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Phil wrote:
I have to imagine you wouldn't fall as fast without 175 lbs. of guy strapped to your back....

I think this guy might disagree.

Mild Thing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you implying he subscribed to the Hipparchan-Philoponan impetus dynamics in which impetus is self-dissipating and free-fall in a vacuum would have an essential terminal speed according to specific weight after an initial period of acceleration?
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thosquanta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild Thing wrote:
Are you implying he subscribed to the Hipparchan-Philoponan impetus dynamics in which impetus is self-dissipating and free-fall in a vacuum would have an essential terminal speed according to specific weight after an initial period of acceleration?

terminal velocity does not occur in a vacuum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reverend Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahpower wrote:
Reverend Phil wrote:
I have to imagine you wouldn't fall as fast without 175 lbs. of guy strapped to your back....

I think this guy might disagree.

I was more picturing poor Sonic trying to escape the strapped together mid-air ass coddling he may have been recieving from the questionable looking fellow trying to "Open his chute" but if you want to take it to the base level of physics.....well shame on you Rahpower.....shame.
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just HAD to figure out a way to join the mile high club!
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not posted in here for awhile. We did three tandems (me and Mrs. Freak) and then decided to go for it. We signed up for the student program where you complete 25 jumps with a coach/jumpmaster and then get an "A" skydiving license!

First we had a 5 hour ground class. Then another day we spent learning to pack a parachute and going over more safety/emergency procedures.

Then yesterday we started our student jumps! Did three of em, wearing our own parachutes but jumping out of the plane with the instructor holding onto our jumpsuit, giving hand signals to us to change body position/check altimiter etc. until we deploy out chute. then they bomb down to the ground before us and talk us through landing pattern into the drop zone on a radio we have strapped to our chest.... this changes day to day depending on wind speed/direction/whatever and we need to learn the ins and outs of manuvering the canopy so we don't land in a corn field or power lines or trees or whatever!

Then pretty soon we will start learning tricks like how to do front and backflips and rolls and turns and dock with other people all while falling towards the Earth at 120 miles per hour! It is a rush I'll tell you.

Yesterday we got to jump from two different planes. A tiny one that could just hold 4 people plus pilot and you sort of have to climb out of the plane over the wheel to jump! Then the bigger, snazzier plane that holds more people that has a door you can just jump out of easier.

Tomorrow we plan to go out for more!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GENERAL HANGOUT All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: