How the fuck do people start careers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEDLY DAEGO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: How the fuck do people start careers? Reply with quote

I graduated in May of 2009, and I still have absolutely no idea how to put my stupid Journalism degree to work in any meaningful way or obtain an entry level position with any sort of promise as a "real" job. I am still applying to shit like target, Home Depot, Costco, the sort of crap you apply to when you are 16 years old, and I'm not even getting interviews there. I have a decade as a project manager, if you can call it that, putting on shows and promotions, that experience should translate into SOMETHING, but I have no clue what I am doing wrong or not doing, or even where to look anymore. This is getting ridiculous. I fell into that spot of people who graduated and began job hunting at the worst possible moment, when this country fell into the toilet, and even if places are hiring they still want either fresh grads or you to have years of experience. No one wants a 32 year old intern who is practically begging for the position. Anyone have any clue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's not what you know, it's who you know."
vishnu666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And quit fucking crying please. Yew must be joking. I got 3 college degrees and I drive a cab. Underemployed, yes. Unemployed, no.
Vrooman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you want to do with your journalism degree, but if you're without work anyway, how about interning at a place like KFAI? You could use that as a stepping stone.
sad poseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some options if what you want to do is write, but lack a clip file:

Pester local media (like suburban, community, and exurban papers) into giving you some stringing assignments. You'll spend nights and weekends covering exciting things like public works meetings and high school sports.

Write for internet content mills. Apparently this is a controversial way for freelance writers to make a few bucks in a crap economy. Google "Associated Content" or "Demand Studios" and see what people have to say about them. The big downside to this is you aren't getting your name out there -- no making contacts, and your work is largely anonymous.

Creative temp agencies. See if you can get some editing/proofreading assignments.
TLH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what you love- but do it well.
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daego, email me to deanbruhn@gmail.com and send your resume. Tell me what kind of jobs you are looking for and I will ask any of the business contacts I have if they have anything that would suit you.

Also I will review your resume and see if there is anything there that might be able to be cleaned up to try and give you a little more edge over other candidates. Resume writing and tailoring to the type of job you are looking for is a huge deal. For me I have to maintain a technical resume and a management resume; side by side they make me look like two different people.

Plus I have done my fair share of interviewing from both sides of the table, there are a lot of things that cause me to skip right over some resumes when I am looking for employees. Its part of the job market these days, you end up with so many resumes you just have to quickly filter a good portion of them off.
Joe 4.0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd make an awesome debt collector.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what your brother does, but do it here.
Trevolution

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resume tailoring is huge.
I, also, have a few different versions of my work history, tailored for what kind of job I'm applying for. Of course, when you're talking Home Depot, you may honestly be over-qualified. How many times in an interview have I been asked, "You seem like you have a lot of experience. Do you think that you would get bored here?/Do you think that this is something that you would really want to do?" The answer is always a chagrinning "Yes." An entry level place doesn't want to pay management wages for a peon. And doesn't want to hire people that just need a few paychecks until they find something in their "field".
But the first step is resume. Honestly, I could tell a marked difference when I cleaned mine up, as far as response. Don't give out a lot of info, but use the correct key words. That's what is wanted. Clean and simple without a plethora of descriptive words. That's what the interview is (supposedly) for.

Don't tell them that you've been putting shows on for the last ten years so you are a "project" manager. In business, it doesn't translate. No, really DON'T TELL THEM THAT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GENERAL HANGOUT All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: