TIMBUKTU
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chain-wallet bitch

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos were from a gig in the entry - I don't recall which one, but I have some recorded evidence of it. I used to record all their shows that I could make it to (even a couple of the early Bwana Devil shows!). At one point, I made the mistake of weeding through all the cassettes of them in my archives, and picking out what I thought were the best recordings/performances of each track. The picks filled up a 100-minute cassette - sort of live "Best of Timbuktu" double album, if you will. I called this collection "The Bible & The Sword".

That wasn't the mistake, though - I still have that cassette, and though the sound quality jumps around a bit, I still think it's great. The mistake was that after I put together the compilation, I gave all of the original cassettes of the gigs to Ivan. That was dumb. Of course, he later told me they had gone missing. All but two, which I still have - when they opened for PiL at 1st Ave on 25 October 1982, and when they opened for The Birthday Party on 6 April 1983.

I have since converted the 100-minute compilation to 2 CDRs. Jizz got one when he visited me a few years back in Mpls, but since then I've learned how to tweak the playback head of a cassette deck to wring the most fidelity possible out of an old tape. So, the new CDs sound a tad better now.

A few of the tracks from that compilation ended up on a MySpace page, put together by our old bass player from Borrowed Time:

We were all pretty big fans of those kids, although I don't think it showed in our own music. Still, I'm glad they've held up this long.

7734 wrote:
Chain-Wallet posted these on the old TCP

(you can see the photos in the quoted post...)

http://www.tcpunk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000016.html

Ollie Stench wrote:
< - snip - >
Oh, and any recordings of Timbuktu? < - snip - >
2fisted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Ivan. :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> YE OLD SCHOOL All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: