SILK SCREENING 101 by 7734
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DWITT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie Stench wrote:
You want ghetto? My forrays into screening on my own (ie not in school) was to stretch a screen, draw the design on with a sharpie and then take laquer adn block out everything I didn't want to print. Then instead of ink I used acryllic paint.

isn't acrylic paint more expensive than latex? What kind? Does it dry really fast?
That method doesn't allow you to reclaim the screen, correct? You'd have to remove the screen in order to use the frame again, or am I missing something?

Curious.
Jacks throbbing migraine

Location: An Island far removed from reality. Not Fantasy Island.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mistral Fluid will remove just about anything from a screen. Bad stuff, and very smelly.

We used to edit our shirts that had been printed professionally and flash cured or run through a dryer, and still the ink came off clean. My favorite shirt for years was my Our Gang/ Little Rascals "Fuckwheat" shirt. But yeah- we used Mistral fluid to do this- and yeah, it was like twenty years ago (so mebbe this info is obsolete) and we too were baked.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my way if you wanted to reuse the frame you would have to cut off the screen and stretch a new one.

I was buying frame pieces at art supply places fro .89 per piece and organdy fabric for about $1 a foot. 1 8oz can of laquer lasted me monger than my desire to screen my own shit.

Acryllic paint would dry over night with no need to heat cure at all. I made a shirt that was black on white and the design lasted until the shirt fell apart 4 years later.

I never tried latex paint. I just used the tubes of acryllic that my then-girlfriend had laying around.
zebco reel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best,not quite the cheapest, and fastest way to get good screens is to:
1) Buy some photo sensitive emulsion and a screen coating trough. Emulsion 50 bucks fer a gallon... it will last a long time
Trough=about 20 bucks
2) of course you'll need some screens. new 10-20 bucks each. Used= free leftovers from most screenprinting shops
3)Print your films out on a laser printer using vellum, this works much better than using old fashioned stat camera film, wasting your time with oil, or cutting that worthless rubylith shit.
4) Burn your screens with a bright light source. A piece of glass with some floodlights will do the trick, although a vacuum table works much better. Exposure time will vary by the emulsion you use and the light source.
5) Spray your screens out with water. Whatever part of the film is not black will harden upon exposure. Whatever is black on your film stays soft and will spray out with no problem leaving the image on the screen ready to be printed
6) There are many different mesh counts for screens... The higher the mesh count is the finer the sreeen is. For example- an 86 mesh screen is used mainly for images without much detail... a screen with a mesh count of 300 or more can be used for almost photo quality images.
Good luck with all ya'lls screens and hopefully this helps out somewhat. All of the products I mentioned can be purchased at Northwest Graphics or any other screen supply type company.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covered all that in my article, but thanks for the summary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> WEBZINE All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: