Car shit
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GAS OIL TIRES WINGS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Car shit Reply with quote

Ok so I just had my car wrecked again, this is the second time it has happened this year. First time I had a 94 BMW 325i with 320,000 miles on the clock. That was in Feb, now the sunday before new years a girl ran into my car and trashed it the second BMW 325 I have owned it had 200,000 on the clock. I replaced the old one with essentially the exact same car. Both showed no signs of dying Sad

I know a lot of people on this forum are into way different cars than this, but I kind of feel it would be foolish to go out and buy a third BMW especially the same series, they have been awesome cars, super fun to drive and all around enjoyable, but I kind of want to change it up a bit.

I like the 80's BMW 3 series, and I am liking the late 90's audio a4 quattro's but I was wondering if there was something else in there I should be looking at, the gf just bought a 2000 volvo s40t that is nice but I find myself enjoying smaller sportier cars than that.

So what other cars should I look at
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artful Dodger



Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 4394

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saab 93
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vrooman



Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Posts: 6490
Location: Miniapples, Minisoda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked smaller Hondas. Altho they don't make the Civic Si in hatchback form anymore, there are still plenty of used ones out there.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rahpower



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 2879
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Car shit Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
I am liking the late 90's audio a4 quattro's


Those sound good, but I hear that they have some problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saab 93's were prone to a lot of problems, I was looking at them for the lady when she ended up buying the volvo. They often have valve cover leaks, the turbo's are prone to failure, and often times they have head gasket issues. While looking for cars for the gf I found that the order of reliability typicallly it went from

Volvo (more reliable)
BMW
Audi
VW
Saab (less reliable)

And for cost of repairs, I typical found it going from
BMW (less)
VW
Audi
Saab
Volvo (most)

I might need to look into the problems of the a4 a little more, and see what they are, I am somewhat interested in going all wheel drive was what turned me onto that car, that and an e30 XI BMW but who knows
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Owen



Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Posts: 1445
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Car shit Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Ok so I just had my car wrecked again, this is the second time it has happened this year. First time I had a 94 BMW 325i with 320,000 miles on the clock. That was in Feb, now the sunday before new years a girl ran into my car and trashed it the second BMW 325 I have owned it had 200,000 on the clock. I replaced the old one with essentially the exact same car. Both showed no signs of dying Sad

I know a lot of people on this forum are into way different cars than this, but I kind of feel it would be foolish to go out and buy a third BMW especially the same series, they have been awesome cars, super fun to drive and all around enjoyable, but I kind of want to change it up a bit.

I like the 80's BMW 3 series, and I am liking the late 90's audio a4 quattro's but I was wondering if there was something else in there I should be looking at, the gf just bought a 2000 volvo s40t that is nice but I find myself enjoying smaller sportier cars than that.

So what other cars should I look at


I think you should stick with the BMW series. Question for you: Aren't they expensive to repair? Parts, etc.?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TLH



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 5486
Location: Way West of the river.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the cars on your list I would drive the BMW first and the VW second. I've only driven a BMW a couple times, but really liked the car and immediately thought it would be a nice car to drive regularly. I have had many volkswagens and have always liked the Ghia. I also like that complete piece of crap the Corvair, though. I had an MG for a while that was kind of fun. Relatively cheap to work on (because there are lots of junked MGs) and not so 'rare' that I was afraid to change some stuff up. I sold it when I got divorced- otherwise it was going to be some variation of a sebring conversion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Car shit Reply with quote

Owen wrote:


I think you should stick with the BMW series. Question for you: Aren't they expensive to repair? Parts, etc.?


Sourcing parts for them actually isn't bad, they are a little pricier than a asian import but on the other hand the parts tend to last a little longer too. Where they kill you is if you actually take it to a BMW shop to get work done. I needed to replace a guibo on one of mine, and the shop wanted $700 to do it, the part cost me $50 and i did it in an afternoon.... Also the BMW dealer wouldn't let me use an aftermarket one that solved the problem with the oem one failing, stupid IMO

I really like the cars, I just feel weird about having essentially the same car 3 times in a year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artful Dodger



Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 4394

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not aware of any of the problems mentioned, just a feeling of mild euphoria when the turbocharger kicks in and more "reliable" cars get smaller in the rear-view mirror.

The main complaint I have about the 93 is the layout of cockpit area. I'm forever flipping on the rear windshield wiper by accident, etc., because the instruments are clustered too tightly. They ingeniously put the cup-holder between the shifter and the steering wheel. It's only a matter of time before I cook my goodies with some scalding hot coffee. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait they put cup holders in cars......

lol my last two BMW's have been without
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Big O



Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 1528

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I've had many beater Volvos. Loved em. In fact, Freakstorm has one from me. It has hundreds of thousands of miles on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought another BMW.... another e36, but its bronze. I found a great deal on one that had just had a ton of work done to it. Plus I had a pile of parts around from the other two so I think it will work out for the best.

I would have loved to have gotten into a volvo, but I really didn't want to get into having his and hers matching cars, lol. Artful I liked the 9-3's i looked at if i could have found a 4 door that i liked that wasn't a hatchback I would of probably gone that route, but I didn't

oh yeah, the new bimmer.... no cup holders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Artful Dodger



Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Posts: 4394

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Artful I liked the 9-3's i looked at if i could have found a 4 door that i liked that wasn't a hatchback I would of probably gone that route, but I didn't


A 9-5 Aero would have really buttered your popcorn, then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vrooman



Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Posts: 6490
Location: Miniapples, Minisoda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europhiles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dean



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful Dodger wrote:
Dean wrote:
Artful I liked the 9-3's i looked at if i could have found a 4 door that i liked that wasn't a hatchback I would of probably gone that route, but I didn't


A 9-5 Aero would have really buttered your popcorn, then.


mmm I found one in anthracite that I was in love with when shopping for cars for Em, but they were a little on the high side of my price range.

and whats wrong with liking euro cars, they have a distinction all their own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GAS OIL TIRES WINGS All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum