"J.D.'s got Salinger"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe 4.0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: "J.D.'s got Salinger" Reply with quote

I've always felt somewhat unimpressed with "The Catcher in the Rye"... Yet I was compelled to pick up and read "Raise High The Roofbeam, Carpenter and Seymour, An Introduction", consumed entirely at work, while sitting on a phone dialer, in between conversations with deadbeats of all varieties.... I found this compilation paperback, the 3rd best selling book of 1963, delightful and inspirational... At points I wondered how much was fantasy and how much was autobiographical... Salinger the person is as interesting as his published works, and it's a somewhat cruel joke that this was his last published book.
Millicent Friendly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine stories and Franny and Zooey are two of my all time favorites. I liked them way better than Catcher, actually.
rahpower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Perfect Day for Bananafish" is one of my lifelong favorites.
Vrooman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Salinger. Have re-read his books many times. Have not read "Raise the Roofbeam....." tho. There isn't a single dud in Nine Stories. For Esme with Love and Squalor spooked me. I still remember George Will's column several years ago where he blamed Salinger, Catcher in the Rye specifically, for Americans having become whiners. George Will is a pompous windbag.
vishnu666

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the fact Catcher in the Rye is easily Salinger's weakest tome, after that bastard Mark David Chapman shot John Lennon in the back, he calmly put down his gun and read from Catcher until the cops arrived. 9 Stories, Raise the Roof Beam, Franny and Zooey, bravo!
tape deck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that Salinger characters take on the whole world around them. Or, at least, their problem is with the whole world. Most contemporary literature, it's the character versus themself, or a relationship, or a polictical faction (whether or not they overtly call out that faction). Salinger's characters are just frustrated with everything.

The biggest thing I fight against with Salinger is classism. His characters are usually financially well-equiped, from the best schools, attractive, etc. If you're not in the right mood, it certainly can come across like whining.
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holden Caulfield certainly comes off as a whiny brat. I am rarely in the mood to read about the emotional problems of the rich.
gurkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't stand catcher in the rye. however raise the roof beam is enjoyable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> BOOK WORMS All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: