ISPs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: ISPs Reply with quote

So is my only option for an ISP in St. Paul Comcast? Is it just me or is 60 dollars a month for high speed internet absolutely insane? They've got a racket going on at Comcast. BULLSHIT.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Comcast sucks. I don't like using them either, but at least I got rid of their phone service and use my broadband connection for that, too.
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely gonna buy a refurb modem for 30 bucks so I don't have to pay the stupid monthly modem rental charge.
Dean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go through, Visi, Integra, Qwest, Nextera in Saint Paul. I am sure there are more Visi piggy backs on qwests dsl. Integra and Nextera have their own wire so different game for them.

- Dean
The YITH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slomgom-

I can sell you a used cable modem for C0mcast for $20. Not refurb, and should work great (money back if not). You just need to call them when you first set up to give them the MAC address.

Also, this really works:

My promotional rate just ended. I was paying $29.99 a month for the last 6 months. I payed the $62 this month, and then I called them and told them I couldn't afford to pay that rate, and asked if they could help me out. I told them I'd seen ads in the paper for $25/month. They told me that was the intro rate for new customers. They suggested bundling services (they always do), to get a lower rate for each. I told them that I used to do that, but since I lost my job last year, my wife and I couldn't afford it anymore (which is true).

They said "sorry, that's all we can do". At this point (this is the important part) I asked to be transferred to somebody so that I could cancel my service. The first thing that these cancellation guys are trained to say is "how can I help you?". I said "well, my monthly rates just went up, and I can't afford pay them... i was calling to see if you guys could offer a better rate, but I was told that you can't.... so I'm going to have to cancel my service". After a little while, and asking one more time if "there is anything you can do to help me out", the guy offered me an upgraded speed (20 mbps) for $35/month.

The moral of the story: Act serious. Tell them what you want (cheap internets). Tell them you are going to cancel and go with another company. They will deal with you. I have done this at least 4 times.

Good luck

PM if interested in modem.
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested, YITH. Check yer pm's and thanks for the tip.
nynetailz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
Integra and Nextera have their own wire so different game for them.

No way! So I can get around Qwest?? I deal with Qwest but they keep going back on deals and so I have to call every month and argue with them. And then get more deals and credits when I threaten to disconnect and complain... I'd just like to have an alternative (besides the city wireless).
Dean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nynetailz wrote:
Dean wrote:
Integra and Nextera have their own wire so different game for them.

No way! So I can get around Qwest?? I deal with Qwest but they keep going back on deals and so I have to call every month and argue with them. And then get more deals and credits when I threaten to disconnect and complain... I'd just like to have an alternative (besides the city wireless).

I have Nextera in my office, they use a microwave dish. I works well and is consistent. They supposedly have a residential package but I have never looked into it. Integra is who we have at the club and it works... Its cheaper but not the fastest and the equipment they put in has been kind of blah
nynetailz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Is it available in Minneapolis too? (I could look them up later on...)
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure Nextera can service parts of minneapolis, I am not sure about Integra's boundaries, but they say Twin Cities and Rochester.

The Minneapolis wireless program is run by USInternet, I hear since they took that project over that they have gotten a great deal better but I don't know first hand. What I do know is that I toured their SAS70 type II data center the other day and compared to others around town it was like some dudes running out of a garage.... Not sure how they got compliant, but *shrugs*

When looking at the different options I would probably go back to qwest over integra, but then I would rather have someone to yell at over business matters than someone to yell at over technical issues. We had qwest in the club for the longest time and it worked well and was decently fast. We changed to integra because it was cheaper to run our two lines and dsl with them.
verle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I was living in a triplex that was set up legally as a duplex. Comcast denied me service because they said that my address did not exist. stupid. Qwest didn't seem to mind setting the place up in exchange for some of my money.
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! NEW PROBLEM!

Comcast, fuckers. Over the past week I've had a continuing but sporadic problem with my internet connectability dropping off. Until yesterday and today when it dropped entirely. Now what's fucked up here is that the modem, the wireless router and TWO computers show full contact with the internet. Problem is, no internet.

So last night I spent an hour on the phone with Comcast trouble shooting. It looks good from his side, but I can't ping out from my side. And no matter what, no connection. Basically we decided it's the modem.

Today I pick up a new used modem, call comcast, connect the new modem and all that stuff. everything looks fine from their side, but nothing is working. even connecting straght to the modem side stepping the router. Another hour of fucking around on the phone with a man named Kathy and we finally decide to get a tech out here.

Hang up. So as another pure pot-shot, I reset the router and modem for the 20th time in two days and we have internet access.

WHAT THE FUCK?! It appears to be a problem entirely on their end. I dont get it. Anybody have any ideas here? Even an answer of "no" would be appreciated.
verle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.
maybe you angered the wwwyzzerdd
sorry no help here i hate isps and cable television providers.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slomgom_Commie wrote:
OK! NEW PROBLEM!

Comcast, fuckers. Over the past week I've had a continuing but sporadic problem with my internet connectability dropping off. Until yesterday and today when it dropped entirely. Now what's fucked up here is that the modem, the wireless router and TWO computers show full contact with the internet. Problem is, no internet.

So last night I spent an hour on the phone with Comcast trouble shooting. It looks good from his side, but I can't ping out from my side. And no matter what, no connection. Basically we decided it's the modem.

Today I pick up a new used modem, call comcast, connect the new modem and all that stuff. everything looks fine from their side, but nothing is working. even connecting straght to the modem side stepping the router. Another hour of fucking around on the phone with a man named Kathy and we finally decide to get a tech out here.

Hang up. So as another pure pot-shot, I reset the router and modem for the 20th time in two days and we have internet access.

WHAT THE FUCK?! It appears to be a problem entirely on their end. I dont get it. Anybody have any ideas here? Even an answer of "no" would be appreciated.

I've had HUGE issues with intermittent service issues with them. The best thing to do is get on the phone as soon as you have a problem, and demand to be prorated for each day you have service disruptions.

I once used them for cable tv, phone, and internet. They gave cable tv it's own dedicated line, and it's been fine since, but the phone and internet shared the modem, so when one was out they both were. So, I scrapped their phone service, bought MagicJack, and saved a shitload on their half-assed service.

You may have to request they check the main line. I was told that in my area we have an old node, and that it was originally designed for basic cable only, not cable upgrades, digital phone, and broadband. I have no idea how much is true and what's bullshit; what I do know is talking with them day after day will significantly decrease your bill, and they'll eventually fix the problem when they see you're no longer profitable.
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. I'm gonna be the customer from hell from now on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> KOMPUTOR All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: