Happy "Let's Hate The Japs" Day!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeanSkinhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLH wrote:
I never can figure out why I come back here. Morbid curiosity, I guess.

Come for the BBQ, stay for the Nagasaki jokes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***blump***
dum dum boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my wife and I closed up my late father's Chicago house for sale this past spring, I took the opportunity to visit the block's longest resident who lives two doors away. He grew up in the home he still inhabits and is 92 years old. I post about this here since he stood at a crossroad of history as chief telegraph operator on the USS Missouri, the ship that hosted the signing of the Japanese surrender.

As Pete tells it, not much was said to the enlisted crew about what was to happen that day but as you might guess, scuttlebutt ran rampant as brass after brass boarded the ship. Once the solemn ceremony on deck had concluded three officers quickly made their way to the radio room where Pete was in charge as ranking NCO. The lead officer handed him a document with orders to send immediately. Pete in turn handed it to the sailor sitting at the transmitter. At this the lead officer blanched visibly as he ordered Pete to send it personally as top man on duty. The document of course contained details of the signing which effectively brought an end to the war. He said he had a bit of the shakes as he tapped out the message. I would have too.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only a matter of a very short period of time when there will no longer be people like him to pick the brains of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> YE OLD SCHOOL All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: