Sam Harris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slomgom_Commie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Sam Harris Reply with quote

This guy is a great oasis of rationality in the current (and historic) world-wide desert of ignorance and unreason. He comes off a lot more intense in his written stuff than during debates and speeches where he is unflappably calm. Sam Harris strikes me as one of the most rational, reasonable and smartest people I've read or heard speak. The End of Faith is a great book although, for me, it's putting to words a lot of things that I felt I already understood. I've read testimony of this book pushing people from the fence of theism to the stable ground of non-theism (for Harris' own reasoning I choose not to use the loaded term "atheism") but it is not expected to sway any person's worldview if they have already stubbornly partitioned their mind into irrational and rational segments.

Jawknee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked this book until it got into the ultra anti-Islam rant (well beyond his rants for the other religions). The first 1/2 or 2/3s is really good. A smart and fun read.
dum dum boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Mr Harris laid out quite plainly the reasoning behind the "singling out" of Islam. It's clearly the most hidebound of all major religions. Even more so than Roman Catholicism, which itself is frightened of a change in the weather and rather proud of it. Islam's incitement to violence is particularly problematic when coupled with such a willfully myopic view of the world. How else to reasonably view an organization that responds to accusations of violence with threats of violence?
gurkin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's easy, just give in and accomodate.
whitebone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islam hates queers, therefore, I do NOT like... Fuck them ALL!!!
If that makes me prejudice, then so be it.... Just sticking up for myself and all of my homo brothers and sisters..... WORD..
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran almost sounds like a fag-friendly Islamic country... if you don't mind giving up your pee-pee in a tranny operation::

Quote:
Iran carries out more sex change operations than any other nation in the world except for Thailand. It is sanctioned as a supposed "cure" for homosexuality, which is punishable by death under Iranian law. The government even provides up to half the cost for those needing financial assistance and a sex change is recognized on the birth certificate.
whitebone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer "sword-fighting"....
Vrooman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gurkin wrote:
that's easy, just give in and accomodate.

Fuck, no. No Ground Zero Mosque! Keep America American!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> BOOK WORMS All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: