Someone is selling my music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEDLY DAEGO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Someone is selling my music Reply with quote

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Music/Sounds/Album/Onward-To-Mayhem/134144.jsp

That is just one example. It is available everywhere. I am not getting a cut. What do I do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it slide for a while, and then go after them for royalties, or better yet, settle with them out of court for an "undisclosed amount".

Who owns the rights to these songs, you or Charged Records?
DEDLY DAEGO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Orbit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't have a good grasp of this shit either. A few years ago I discovered that someone had set up a MS page for one of my old bands, and were selling mp3s. I sent them a few messages, with no reply (big shock). No way of knowing who set it up. The label we were on had sold all of that stuff to iTunes - I suppose there isn't much to stop Joe Blow from grabbing those and putting them for the purpose of reselling. Especially if you aren't some big-time band with good legal representation.
Did you try contacting the people hosting that page?
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to for the sake of argument assume that the record label owns your work. If that's the case, you need to contact them about royalties.

I've just learned that JJ's Chicken and Fish in the Midway has a SnapLocally boxing poster on their wall. They just went on the internet and printed a low res pic. I'm marching in there at lunchtime with a stinkbomb in hand.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever the distributor that provided Hot Topic with the records gets the $$$. The distributor has (in theory) already paid Charged for the records, and Jake was responsible for getting your cut to you.

A few years ago I ran into Jake at Grumpys and he verbally gave me the rights to the Subversives album, meaning that I could re-press it if I wanted to. You might want to check with him and see if he'll extend the same to you.
Felix Havoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've been over this before regarding some local bands. Your label no doubt sold the rights to your digital releases to a digital distributor who gets into different download platforms. I got permission from all the bands on Havoc before I sent in their material for digital distribution. I do get regular statements and pay the bands royalties. That said, almost no one pays for punk downloads. The amount of money involved is pretty trivial. I spent a weekend going over four years of statements and sending bands royalty checks. Most of them were for 50-75$ for four years worth of downloads. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean anyone is actually buying it. Digital distributors put up tens of thousands of artists in dozens of platforms and hope someone buys downloads from a few. Also note, pay downloads are going the way of the CD already, even people who WOULD have paid for downloads a few years ago, are moving towards streaming platforms like Pandora that pay incredibly insignificant royalties.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there you go, Daego.

If you can't make shit with your own work, I'd make sure they can't either- give it all away.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found blogs and web sites that were giving away Subversives stuff. Youtube as well. I've posted comments saying that they have the bands' approval to post anything of ours that they want. We never made any money off of it anyway (well, Step One sent us a royalty check for $147 once in about 1999). So my attitude is that I would rather have it be heard than forgotten. And like Mild said, if I give it away it makes it tough for others (third parties) to make anything off of it.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**This is what I'd do**

1) Purchase the OnWardToMayhem(dot)com domain

2) Host every song you've recorded for download

3) Update your OTM Myspace account every day for a month advertising the new website with free downloads

4) Add a Paypal button for donations, just in case someone feels like making a contribution.

The reason why I even mention Myspace at all (which I personally think sucks and don't use anymore) is because the first site that comes up when doing an OTM search is your Myspace fan page.
Felix Havoc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually a good plan.
2fisted

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, may be the way to go for my band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GENERAL HANGOUT All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: