Possible Site Closing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Possible Site Closing Reply with quote

I'm looking for somebody to take over hosting and running this site. Over the past 10 years I have paid $25 a month to host this site along with the yearly domain name registration.

While I appreciate the $60 donated via Paypal over the years, I can no longer continue to pay for this site out of my own pocket. My main goal was to maintain this site as an archive for everybody to visit.

If nobody steps up, I will archive an offline copy of the site and close the doors at the end of September.

P.S. This will also result in a number of websites that I host for free to be closed. If I'm hosting your website, you should look to transfer to a new host before October.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nutty idea:

Keep the domain, use cheap as possible hosting for archives, and where the "forum" link is, route it to a free forum.

I have two forums, both hosted in India, and one of them I've had for 5 years now. Works great.

For my main website, I only spend about $75 a year, which includes domain registration, privacy, and basic hosting. If I were to forgo the privacy and use the free hosting, it would only be about $15 a year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free sites suck. Doubt I would have the access and resources on a free account to host all the archives currently in place. I have absolutely no desire to start a fresh board or waste my time configuring the old one on a new server.

I do appreciate the suggestions.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only portion of "free" I was suggesting was the forum.

As an example, I own <ThisIsAnExample.com>, and I route it directly to a free forum. The forum is quite editable (it's PhpBB2, same as this) and the ads are minimal- they're only at the very bottom, and they're only text- no banners.

I host my "Combat Sports Photography" site on Godaddy. I know many people will say they suck, or don't want to support them, but I get a lot for my money, have had over 6 million hits, and have never had bandwidth issues due to traffic or storage issues. They also offer free hosting with registration, but that leaves a big ugly banner at the top. Plenty of hosting space, but ugly banner. I spend about $50 a year to make it go away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I can take a compressed archive file that contains the db, images, and all of the current folder structures and paths as they are, and then roll them out to a new host with a simple DNS change it isn't going to happen.

If this can happen, let me know.

Again, I do appreciate the information.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person with the most posts on here, I say shut the fucker down, save the cash and buy your kids something nice for Kwanza. It was fun while it lasted, but it hasn't been $25/mo worth of fun for a year or so now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not about being fun anymore. It's about saving the archives and making them available.
DEDLY DAEGO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was better than Facebook by a long shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vrooman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd offer more help, but the only server I have access to (just recently crashed and currently being rebuilt) is not co-located and is connected only thru a 7mbps DSL. TCP has been slow lately, but those archives ain't tiny. I don't envy your spot, but am thankful you've been piloting this place for as long as you have.

On a related note, another site I visit just about daily (obscurestore.com) announced today it's pulling the plug.

What does this all mean?!
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in a Version 2 of this thing, or would you rather just see it just die on the vine?

Like I said, this could be duplicated almost exactly (except maybe in spirit) for no overhead, save for domain registration.
Vrooman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how much work would it take? Just put the house on wheels or build from the ground up?
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would be the unofficial 3rd version, but it would/could look very much the same.

RC, what's the size (space wise) of the site as is?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, was working. It uses about 2.5 GB of disk space. Bandwidth is super low with only the handful of us visiting now and then.

I think if somebody was going to go to the trouble of making a new TCPIII, they should come up with something new, better, maybe more variety. I guess I would like the board to continue as is on another server for the archives, and to let old members stroll back in. If that doesn't happen, I will sit on the name and the archive just in case I find a new place in the future to park it on.
Reverend Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ,whatever you decide to do, thanks for the work and expense, it's meant quite a bit to a lot of folks....
vishnu666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: I Will Rue the Day Reply with quote

When tcpunk goes away. My cab driver thread just passed 10K hits. It means a lot to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> HQ All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: