juicing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it's been apple juice (excellent) and tangerine/carrot juice (also excellent).

I ain't doing the uber-expensive organic thing, just the opposite- I went to Aldi and got about 40 lbs of fruits and vegetables for about $15: the aforementioned apples, carrots and tangerines, and for tomorrow's experimentation cabbage, green peppers, sweet onions, and more cantaloupe. I'll bet my piss is more nutritious than frozen orange juice.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabbage, green pepper, potato, carrots, onion: Surprisingly mild considering the ingredients.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely feel energized. I've been up since 4am (for the second time this week) and I don't need to be up until 6. I'm also on my 3rd day without caffeine- something I haven't done in years. Not that I was making an effort to quit, I just don't feel the need for it.
Trevolution

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is gonna sound snarky, but you know what's healthy for a body?. ......Sleep!
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did, for 6 and a half hours. I laid in bed until 5, and just wasn't tired. I guess today that means my body only required that much sleep. Tomorrow I might require 8 or 9 hours, but for today I have plenty of energy, still without caffeine.
Reverend Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild, I'll see if I can get the missus to kick down her leek soup recipe and I'll post it
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.

One drawback I'm dealing with is I've got my first rounds of "caffeine headaches".

While I'm not going on a "juice fast" I've yet to eat an actual meal yet today. I've had two rounds of juice, and some almonds and pecans. When you haven't had regular food in a while, they taste 10x better than I remembered.

Carrots, pears, apples, cantaloupe: damn that's good.
peeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few times a week I juice. Not sure if you are into new recipes now that you've found your groove but I juice: Beets (cleans the liver), Carrots (Beta C), Apple (Flavor), Kale (Total fucking super food) and Ginger (Reduces swelling so it's natures advil).

Raw ginger and kale are amazing foods. Forget the spinach and go with kale. The flavor is stronger so you'll want to try small portions at first. Also raw ginger is pretty spicy so just a small bit before you go for more.

Herbal tea is another fantastic antioxidant. I think Evening in Missoula is the best tea i've ever drank and I can't get it here in Singapore so that makes me totally jealous that you can drink as much as you like.

If you have never seen the website it's very insightful. You can type in any veggie and it will give you the breakdown on nutrients.

<http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php>
peeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to quit coffee. But I can't even think about it right now.
I did go on an apple fast recently because the food here was making me feel heavy. It was my first fast.

I did nothing but apples and water all Friday
Saturday I had one cup of coffee and nothing but apples and water until 5pm and felt like SHIT. At 5pm I drink coconut water and felt way better.
on Sunday I felt like super woman. Sunday night I ate.

It was amazing how great I felt and how much energy I had after two days. I felt like I could fast the rest of my life. But nahhh.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love me some kale and spinach. I think I'm just going to continue to eat them however- too damn expensive to juice. Ginger sounds worth trying. I haven't seen beets lately, but I'll give those a shot as well. Thanks.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peeper wrote:
I really want to quit coffee.

On the plus side, coffee is even healthier for liver function than milk thistle.

I wasn't even drinking coffee anymore, I was breaking caffeine tablets in half, so I was taking a measured 400mg a day, which supposedly isn't much. But my headaches today are telling me another story. I guess I could quit for good if I can quit for a week, since energy level is no longer an issue.
The YITH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was making a lot of juice, I found it really helpful to save the pulpy stuff produced as a byproduct and use it to make stock. Had some delicious juice made from carrot/tomato/celery/garlic and made a wonderful veggie stock!

For the fruit-juice pulp, I used it to make muffins. Apple/carrot/ginger juice and delicious bran muffins!

If you are still eating much, try it, or sell/trade/give your pulp to people for their own use.
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a baker, but when I juice my vegetables I try and pair them together so the remnants aren't entirely disgusting.

I just made a small batch of stew from carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and onion pulp. It largely lacks flavor since most if it was in the juice, so I make it sour and spicy with malt vinegar, black pepper, and hot sauce, Dijon mustard, and a little meat.

Instead of muffins, have you (or anyone else) tried making an entire cake or bread with the pulp?
Mild Thing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to make what I originally believed to be an undrinkable mixture- celery (which I have never liked), cucumber, and onion juice. It wasn't bad at all. Plus I've read onion juice has some pretty potent medicinal properties; I just did it as a goof.

I'm still without caffeine. I miss it a little, but noticed increased energy after taking a B complex tablet.

Speaking of increased energy, it's inspired me to do far more cardio and lift weights more often than I had been in recent YEARS. I'm now down 9 or so pounds since the beginning of this experiment.
Trevolution

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the lack of protein affect weight lifting?
(granted I have no idea what form of lifting you do..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GENERAL HANGOUT All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: