CHRISTIAN HANSON Makeup FX Artist interview by RipVanWinkle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCPUNK
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: CHRISTIAN HANSON Makeup FX Artist interview by RipVanWinkle Reply with quote

http://www.tcpunk.com/tcphtml2/tcpw16.htm
trailerdiva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fascinating.
nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview. Very Happy
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with the CGI crap. If I wanted to watch cartoons I'd watch a fucking cartoon. If I'm in the mood for live-action I don't wanna see computer animation. I don't care how "good" the CGI is, it still pales in comparison to "real" effects.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all shit digital, I think CGI has its place if done well, But I'm with you Ollie... for most horror stuff I'll take the traditional makeup and FX.
scootcore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: FX Reply with quote

I was watching the new DVD of "Day of the Dead," which had a commentary by Roger Avery (writer of Pulp Fiction), and he touched on that. Even if something moves in a fancy, movement-capture way, it just screams FAKE. It really takes you out of the film, even the good stuff.

and I just do not agree with the conventional wisdom that you alway hear "that's something they couldn't do without computers." It's not as though there haven't been technological advances in hydrolics and other "puppeteering" techniques. The advantage of the physical techniques, is that it's still a little demanding on the director. You can film a puppet poorly, or very well. But with CG, it's sort of the easy route. and it usually looks it.

The only way that CG works is when the director understands that it isn't just the magical fixall that so many think it is. They're so damn wowed by the technical side, that they don't recognize it's limitations, and compensate by the way the shot is set up.

Nonetheless, it's the way all is heading.
Finn McCool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could take all that extra time and energy they're saving by using computers and, oh I dunno, write a decent story?
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Hulk movie was little more than a "Masters of the Universe" cartoon in my book. NO, I didn't see it, nor do I plan on it.

"Company Of Wolves" is a brit werewolf movie from the mid-80's. There are transformation scenes in there where NO animation OR stop-motion was used. The SFX guys figured out a way for a "live" transformation to take place. If you can change a human into a wolf without the aid of computers...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Company of Wolves was excellent. One of my favorites was John Carpenter's The Thing. Even the storyboards were great.

scootcore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Skulls and zombies for sale Reply with quote

On another topic....
I expect to have that skull sculpture molded in the next month, and will have casts available for sale. Makes a great Holiday gift, etc etc. 100% hand sculpted in WED clay, using a realy human skull as a reference.

Yup. And I should have zombie busts for sale too. Here's a prototype of the paintjob. I can add hair and whatnot.

Reno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGI seems to work pretty good for making dinosaurs and stuff. There was a Discovery Channel show a few years back that was pretty amazing, but people are too quick to use it just because they can. The old methods can be really remarkable. I remember watching Cannibal Holocaust, and trying to figure out how they made it without actually killing someone. (Snuff-film rumors circulated about this film for years.) I imagine the budget for that movie was tiny, yet the effects were convincing enough to make me nauseous.

That was many years ago, and perhaps my memory has failed me, so don't laugh and tell me how much the effects sucked. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scootcore, what kind casts are you making of the skull? painted? how much you asking?
scootcore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Skull Reply with quote

I think that the casts will be made out of epoxical, or casting resin. I'll have to see what works best. I may look into a cheaper material like hydrocal or some other stone material. Not sure on price. I need to find a way to produce them somewhat cheaply. When I have something figured out, I'll post info on the board. painted, yes.

What's more important in your view: quality of the final casting or price?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality, but I'd like to buy one so price is in there too Smile

I know some of those materials are expensive... can I trade you for some human teeth and bones? Wink
scootcore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: I need more teeth Reply with quote

Yeah! Once I get further along (I'm in the middle of moving right now) we'll work something out.
Also, didn't you do some fx work years ago? What sort of work did you do (sculpting, painting, molds, mechanics, etc)? I could trade you a "blank" (unpainted copy to the layman) if you want to paint/stain it yourself.

You can contact me at:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> WEBZINE All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: