dying the skin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Roland Deschain"]You quite possibly are one of the biggest bozos I've seen on here.
quote]

Uh, no. That'd be me.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freely admit that I had some pretty stupid ideas about fashion back in the day. But I never felt so strongly about having to disassocaite myself from the mainstream. I knew I was different, I know I am still pretty different from everyone else. I just don't need to wear it on my sleeve anymore.

My beef isn't with standing out from the crowd, my beef is the way in which Kawana is choosing to do it. If I as a fat middle aged white guy (there, now everyone knows what I look like) chose to wear a dashiki, a Navaho ceremonial head dress, or what ever it's called that the Muslim women wear, I'd be chastised for disrespecting those cultures. Taking something that (probably) has deep meaning to this tribe and turning it into little more than a shock-tactic fashion statement seems really disrespectful to that tribe.
Roland Deschain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other point that I forgot to make is that we're now living in a society where "shock value" and extremism has almost become a norm...dyed hair/hands/what-have-you doesn't intimidate people anymore thanks to MTV and corporate fat-cats cashing in on the individualist ca$h cow. If you want to really throw people for a loop dress extremely conservatively, then express your individuality through your actions and not through an overpriced outfit bought at Hot Topic.
trazadone

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about i give you the same advice my mom gave scabby and me:

'I don't care what you do or look like, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else."

cut off yr damn hands for all i care.
rayna

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really wanna stand out shout swear words in a room full of dental students. (Whoops.)
Roland Deschain

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trazadone wrote:
how about i give you the same advice my mom gave scabby and me:

'I don't care what you do or look like, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else."

cut off yr damn hands for all i care.

people dressing to impress does hurt me....on the inside I cry. Crying or Very sad
Jahozio

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawana wrote:
You could say that any white person with a tattoo is ripping off another culture because tattoos are certainly not european in origin.

You could also say that anyone with skin darker than khaki that's not wearing a loin cloth might be ripping off European culture.

I once witnessed an African-American young lady complain about a "white girl" wearing her hair in a dread-locked fashion because she was "culture-stealing". I took it upon myself to remind her that those denim jeans she stuffed her fat ass into wasn't exactly "Afrocentric".

People, instead of criticizing Kawanza why don't you help offer new ideas. This is the internet, a great place of information exchange, right?

I'll offer a few:

We've all seen "Gothic" fashion. Vampire-wannabes. Old hat. You could be the first fashion Mummy! Lots of gauze! Going commando? Leave them guessing!

How about wearing a helmet? Nothing says "special" quite like a helmet.

Wear clothes pins dangling from your shirts to mark where your nipples are. Let them know you "like it rough".

Since your skin's already brown here's a natural: wear a shirt that says "I shoplift". Leave'em guessing.
Owen

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, this board is no place for you to offer sensible, humorous commentary.

Jahozio wrote:
Kawana wrote:
You could say that any white person with a tattoo is ripping off another culture because tattoos are certainly not european in origin.

You could also say that anyone with skin darker than khaki that's not wearing a loin cloth might be ripping off European culture.

I once witnessed an African-American young lady complain about a "white girl" wearing her hair in a dread-locked fashion because she was "culture-stealing". I took it upon myself to remind her that those denim jeans she stuffed her fat ass into wasn't exactly "Afrocentric".

People, instead of criticizing Kawanza why don't you help offer new ideas. This is the internet, a great place of information exchange, right?

I'll offer a few:

We've all seen "Gothic" fashion. Vampire-wannabes. Old hat. You could be the first fashion Mummy! Lots of gauze! Going commando? Leave them guessing!

How about wearing a helmet? Nothing says "special" quite like a helmet.

Wear clothes pins dangling from your shirts to mark where your nipples are. Let them know you "like it rough".

Since your skin's already brown here's a natural: wear a shirt that says "I shoplift". Leave'em guessing.
peeper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawana wrote:
That's cool, if you're a yuppie.

I think you should do what ever the hell you want! Good luck with the hand dieing. I hope it works out. Take pics to show us what it looks like Kawana.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peeper wrote:

I think you should do what ever the hell you want! Good luck with the hand dieing. I hope it works out. Take pics to show us what it looks like Kawana.

Couldn't have said it better.
Kawana

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice racist jokes Jahozio, you seem like a really cool person.
Jahozio

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawana wrote:
Nice racist jokes Jahozio, you seem like a really cool person.

Why, what race are you? Maybe I can be more accommodating.
Kawana

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what you're problem is, did ethnic people beat you as a child? Why should I tell you my lineage? You got more crap to spew?
DEDLY DAEGO

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is any of that a "racist joke"? The guy was right. And he was right to point out her "afrocentrism." Anytime you set a black person straight by illustrating their blatantly racist and seperatist behaviors all of a sudden you're in the wrong. So what's the deal Kawana, are you another one of those who believe that ethic minorities can do no wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vrooman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEDLY DAEGO wrote:
How is any of that a "racist joke"?

Jahozio wrote:
Since your skin's already brown here's a natural: wear a shirt that says "I shoplift".

DEDLY DAEGO wrote:
And he was right to point out her "afrocentrism."
What is so un-African about cotton fabric? They good enough to pick it, but not wear it? Besides, it's prolly more about who's lifting whose culture in the modern sense not some historic angle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> • DIY All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: