SNOW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleib alien

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonicfreak wrote:
I feel really sorry for people like Jack's Throbbing Migraine or guzzigirl who live in snow deprived parts of the world.

If we want snow all we have to do is drive 40 miles east to the mountains. When we get tired of the snow we just drive 40 miles back and hang out at the beach.
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOW MORE GOD DAMNIT!!!!
Finn McCool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd bump this image over to this page. It updates automatically, but as of 02:20 AM EST Sun Nov 23, it looks like all the action is in Iowa and Wisconsin. No blizzard for you.
Finn McCool wrote:
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it seems to be coming down quite nicely now! Twisted Evil Mr. Green
sour grapes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello snow emergency.

Evil or Very Mad
zom-zom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going out to play now! Very Happy
Abort_Mission

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my youngest daughter on her first snowmobile ride yesterday. And my other daughter on her 3rd ride. Yay snow!
k@t!e

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pissed. i wanted a snow day or at least a 2 hour delay this morning...but NO! cambridge school districts are notoriuos for never delaying or closing school. when my friend and i were on our way to school he almost went in the ditch like 10 times, it usually takes us about 8 min to get to school, it took us close to 20 min this morning. and the road we take is one that TONS of people take to get to school. god it sucked. but, i am excited for ski/snowboard club to start! watch out wild moutain...here i come!
zom-zom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You drive 8 minutes to school? Don't your legs work?
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zom-zom wrote:
You drive 8 minutes to school? Don't your legs work?

This is a good point! I just took a 45 minute walk to work in the negative degree windchills and it was not too bad. I'm glad we have snow! Yesterday was fun. My kid and I had snowball fights and did a bunch of shoveling. Then we took a bus downtown and saw Elf. It was actually pretty funny!
Laggard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kidz r really lazy now
k@t!e

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, it takes about 12-15 min if you go the speed limit to get to school. i would never even think of walking. You have to remember, i live kinda out in the boonies. Some of you would think i live out in the middle of no where, and i kind of do! walking would suck. i was thinking on taking my little ALMOST 7 year old brother to see Elf for his birthday. i was not sure if he would like it. he says he wants to see that disney Brother Bear or whatever. personally...i think that movie looks VERY DUMB.
Sonicfreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - This is just about how I feel. In retrospect it was pretty wimpy. MORE SNOW! And please at least give us a decent blizzard this time OK?

JOE SOUCHERAY: Pre-storm buildup amplified post-storm letdown
JOE SOUCHERAY
Pioneer Press Columnist

The anger over the failed snowstorm of last weekend seems particularly strident. TV meteorologists are taking most of the heat, but newspapers did their part with the buildup, stock-up-on-supplies stories.

A guy named Paul from White Bear Lake called me and told me that he positioned his snowblower on his front stoop, with his choppers molded around the handle grips, a glove on each side. He said he was ready to slip into his parka and then step outside and insert his hands, surgeonlike, into the waiting choppers.

"In other words,'' I offered, "you feel cheated.''

"Embarrassed is more like it,'' he said.

This fellow provided me with a clue as to what is going on with our local news and weather. It is almost as though the news is prepared only for people who have not been born and raised in Minnesota, thus the sense of embarrassment when you have been snookered.

For example, advertising the failed storm as a Top 10 historic snowstorm was what grabbed the attention of the natives. Tell us that we are in for a 6- or 7-inch snowfall, and you pretty much are talking to the people who moved here from Atlanta. Who cares?

But sell me on the idea that we are in for a whopper of historic proportion, and you have the attention of even hardened cynics and veterans. That was the problem over the weekend, the reason so many people felt let down.

We were being told of a snowstorm that would be worthy of our attention, those of us who remember Halloween 1991 and storms long before that when you gathered around the radio in the kitchen and held out hope that a foot or two might close your school.

Why, it was our hardiness that once distinguished us. We were not always on pins and needles. We truly had a sense of place that was unlike the rest of the Lower 48. It snowed. You shoveled. For God's sake, we had our carnival in the winter!

And then something happened. I don't know exactly what it was or when. I have a theory that simply more and more people not from here ended up here in news assignment roles, and the next thing you know, the little snowfalls that we took for granted were getting blown out of proportion by 26-year-olds from Miami or Charlotte.

That resulted in schools getting closed for cold weather or schools getting closed for a couple of inches of snow. Meteorologists developed the habit of telling kids what to wear at the bus stop in the morning.

On a parallel track, those of us who were here pre-weather mania just gradually tuned out and didn't pay much attention to the hysteria.

Ah, but then by last Friday or so, we got a whiff of something grand, an old-fashioned blizzard on the way. The more they gabbed, the more they drew us in, the veterans who, if they did not relish the prospect of a major storm, at least relished the prospect of not being misled by something piddling. I bit. On Saturday, I filled two auxiliary gas cans. I made sure the snowblower started.

And then, like the guy in White Bear, I actually positioned the machine at the mouth of the garage so I wouldn't have to move a car to get to it.

As E.B. White once said of an approaching hurricane Edna, I think I sought refuge from the storm by going out into it. I blew off the driveway a couple of times so that the snow machine would not be hindered by leaves or pine needles.

I waited.

I was ready.

We got 3 inches.

It is exactly the feeling of wanting your money back.
Abort_Mission

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a killer storm wasn't it. I work parttime at a hardware store and they sold 31 snow-blowers on Friday alone. I'd bet a lot of those buyers were kinda pissed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> GENERAL HANGOUT All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 2 of 47

Jump to: