OvO [Commuter Bike Project] OvO
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: OvO [Commuter Bike Project] OvO Reply with quote

So I wanted to build a commuter single speed freewheel bike from a junker. Everybody was telling me to just fork over the $450 for a Fuji track bike, but I wanted to learn more about building one up not to mention the lack of $450.

So to start I needed a good frame and after a few google searches I learned what kind of frame to hunt for. I needed something older with an almost horizontal drop out so I could adjust the rear wheel and chain with out using a tension device. It seems like you see frames in the trash all the time until you need one so with no dumpster finds I started to hit the thrift stores. After spending a couple days hunting and starting to become hard up... I found this let gem below. It was a Sears 3 speed (hub) bike that was in good shape for its years and it was only $10.00. Something inside told me I would be chasing my tail with this bike, but I said fuck it and bought the bike.

The first thing I did was strip the bike down and began sorting out all the sizes of the fork, crank, rims, etc. The wheels are 26" and steel so I'll need to hunt for something better eventually, but for now I just bought new tubes and some $7.00 tires. Next up was the seat post and saddle. I had an OK post and I found a nice saddle for $20. Now on to the tougher stuff... the bottom bracket and crank. After bouncing all over trying to figure it out what to use I decided to swing by One on One on Washington and have mean Gene help me out. He hooked me up with a new bottom bracket and nice but cheap crank. I went with 170mm cranks so I wouldn't hit the ground when I turn. Now on to the front end. It has a strange 1" fork that might be a bitch to upgrade to a cheap carbon straight fork so for now I'm going to leave it until I decide what to do. For a stem I replaced the old poop and bars with a stronger 1" quill style that I found at work. The stem had some straight bars that I'll change when and if I do something about the fork.

So anyway, here's my new beater and I've spent about $100 so far. The sharp spikes make it go faster too!

Vrooman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks slick. I don't think I could do the fixed gear bit, but single-speed freewheeling is intriguing. Good work.

Conincidentally, my old bike had the same sticker scheme on the seat tube. I like it.
hermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have some 1" mtb forks laying around. I've probably built at least 8 single speeders, usually using MTB frames since the geometry isn't as crappy as the average 3 speed or ancient 10 speed. You can use the frames without horizontal dropouts if you change the front sprocket to get the correct tension. It helps to have a few sprockets with different teeth count. Wink
Germ War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about putting together bikes, but it looks like you did a great job. I think this would be a pastime I could get into.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy so far, I really didn't know shit when I started. There is a ton to of stuff to learn and I would have been lost without the internet and the help of Gene, and a few others.

My biggest fear was that I would not be able to find parts that would fit this thing and having to figure out all the sizes and options. So now I have an OK understanding of what is what and I don't feel like a complete tard when I'm at a bike shop.

Hermit, do you think that fork would work on this beast? Is it threadless? Do you have a stem? Gene didn't make it sound like I was going to find much that would work for headsets... I'm lost. Do you have any used 26" wheelsets for sale?

Anybody have a creative idea for a suicide shift on my 3 speed hub?

P.S. I still need a front break, I'd be better off using my feet behind the fork than using the old one on there now.
hermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7734 wrote:
Hermit, do you think that fork would work on this beast? Is it threadless? Do you have a stem? Gene didn't make it sound like I was going to find much that would work for headsets... I'm lost. Do you have any used 26" wheelsets for sale?

Threadless? No. Do you want threadless or not? It's getting really hard to find 1" threadless parts.

Stems? Several.

Headsets? yup.

Wheelsets? yup.

Come out and visit with it and we'll see what happens. I've benn packratting bikes for years and also have a nearly complete bike shop.
hermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I have brakes, too. If you're gonna use your foot, do it on the back wheel. Wink
Subrec

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermit wrote:
Oh, and I have brakes, too. If you're gonna use your foot, do it on the back wheel. Wink

As a small child I was riding on the back of my dad's ten speed, you remember those kid seets that sat above the rear tire, and my foot went into the spokes ripping the shoe, sock and all of the skin off my foot. Just the mention of rubbing your foot on the tire to stop makes me cringe!
deathintransit

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.

Cruise on over to http://www.bikeforums.net and check out the Singlespeed/fixed gear section. Tons of internet grade infotainment. Including mass quantities of elegant bike pictures.

Heads up!

College students will be leaving behind lots of bikes when the are kicked out of campuses for the summer! Cruise through and you may find some free bikes!
Soon you can make a little peice of awesome like 7734.
Adrea

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetness 7734. Bike looks awesome. I too don't know much about bikes, yet, but I'm trying to learn a little bit. I don't like going in bike shops either and feeling like a total retard but they expect me to be a total retard just because I'm a chic most the time anyhow. Same goes for the car world. Rolling Eyes
The Jeff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really cool. It has defiantly peeked my interest. I have to start riding bicycles to strengthen my leg. So this may be up my alley. Sure would like to see it with the new brakes and forks. I don't have a clue what you’re talking about as far as geometry and such. Another thing to start learning. Did I mention I have a headache?
deathintransit

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrea wrote:
Sweetness 7734. Bike looks awesome. I too don't know much about bikes, yet, but I'm trying to learn a little bit. I don't like going in bike shops either and feeling like a total retard but they expect me to be a total retard just because I'm a chic most the time anyhow. Same goes for the car world. Rolling Eyes

Go to the Hub Bike CoOp. http://thehubbikecoop.org/site/intro.cfm
They try to keep a 50/50 gender balance to help eliminate this sort of problem. I've been in there for various retard things that I've done and they are always very patient and insightful with what they are doing. Very cool people.
rayna

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a single speed freewheel, too. Only I don't have horizontal dropouts, so I gotta replace the stretched out chain every four to six months. (Screw a chain tensioner, almost as ridiculous as a derailleur for winter riding.) I have front and back brakes, though.
I have a little nishiki frame and only had to pay $150 for my bike. (My friend got all the new parts at wholesale, built it up, and I gave him fifty or sixty after what he wanted.) Thank you Sam Tracy, bicycle guy and author!Although I switched it from a twelve speed to a single speed, I am the only person I know that has had the same frame for three + or four years. I don't really care about the weight of it, as long as it stays together. (Despite getting hit and falling down sometimes...)
Adrea

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathintransit wrote:
Adrea wrote:

Go to the Hub Bike CoOp. http://thehubbikecoop.org/site/intro.cfm
They try to keep a 50/50 gender balance to help eliminate this sort of problem. I've been in there for various retard things that I've done and they are always very patient and insightful with what they are doing. Very cool people.

Yeah I've heard lots of good things about that place. I however have never been there, yet.
deathintransit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayna wrote:
I ride a single speed freewheel, too. Only I don't have horizontal dropouts, so I gotta replace the stretched out chain every four to six months.

There are also half-links for your chain for when you need to get that chain tension spot on. Since you can't slide the rear axle back and forth, you could remove one link and replace with one of them halfsies to take up the slack.

dark link=half link.

Link to the half link.http://www.spicercycles.com/index.cgi?cat=18&sub_cat=half%20link%20chain%20link&prod_id=389&cat_desc=Mountain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> • GAS OIL TIRES WINGS All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: