moby's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocker654

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the McDonald's Town House was still there in the early eighties. Even though it appeared to be a gaming establishment, no one I know ever went into Rifle Sport to play games. Unless its the place I remember going to to play "skee-ball" once...
zom-zom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...After that kick-off Moby's had music regularly and that is one of the
things Moby's was best known for.

I had never heard of any bands playing at Moby Dicks. Anyone ever see a band there? I didn't even know there was a stage.

I don't know, that history doesn't sound like the Moby's I remember. I mean, I didn't hang out in the place but I sure was around or near it quite a bit.

Last edited by zom-zom on Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Artful Dodger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocker654 wrote:
...no one I know ever went into Rifle Sport to play games. Unless its the place I remember going to to play "skee-ball" once...

I did when I was a lil' shaver! We'd take the bus downtown and go there because you could shoot bb machine guns. Then we'd go to Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips next to the Skyway and then to Novelty Nook to buy fake vomit and garlic gum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember seeing the Flaming O's at Moby's.

Rifle Sport was one of the first places where we learned to play foosball, they still had one of those bb machine gun games. I think the skee-ball was down the street at Pop's.
The Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that bb-gun game. I worked at Burger King across the street and came over and played that game way to much.
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zom-zom wrote:
I had never heard of any bands playing at Moby Dicks. Anyone ever see a band there? I didn't even know there was a stage.

I believe the Flamin' Oh's released a cd-r "Live At Moby Disck's" last year. Or maybe it was The Phones.
Missy Bigbritches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Moby Dick's once, just before they closed. I was high and made a few runs to the bathroom for quick vomitus. I am sorry that I only went there once.
rocker654

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zom-zom wrote:
Quote:
...After that kick-off Moby's had music regularly and that is one of the
things Moby's was best known for.

Ditto. Must have been in the 70's.
MatteBlack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question I wonder if Patti Pagan has any other information on the theater that was discovered at that location?
GDMFSOB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear tales of ten plus foosball tables at Mobys, back in the 70's...........
this came from some older timers that taught me the game.

I think Gilligan and his brother know someone that is pretty big in the foosball world that might remember.

GDMFSOB, TCPUNKS Official Semi Pro foosball player. Cool
gilligan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't start playing foosball til around 1985 and that was at the
old Beanies arcade in Bloomington but I'll ask the Bosch if he's
heard anything about Mobys.
Patti Pagan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes? Did someone summon moi? Sorry no info on the theatre but here's what I've got:

1974 article excerpt: "...Some juke boxes become interesting only when their use by a certain clientele is examined. Moby Dick's for example, hasn’t' an unusual or even necessarily gifted juke box in respect to programming or physical styling. But when you walk into Moby's the first thing to hit you, aside from upturned elbows, is the music blaring form the juke box ("Honky Tonk Woman" the last 3 times I was there). If that juke box happens to have its plug kicked out by any of the resident stumble bums, the musical void is filled with an angry outcry form demanding drinkers deprived of a very important element of their bar culture……even the 'hipsters' down at Moby's really shake a leg when "in the Mood", an old hit from the 40's starts spinning around…."

1976 article excerpt: "...Moby Dick's & Uncle Sam's: "Visiting these 2 places is where the slumming part of the title originated. The disco at Moby's is buried in a back room of the bar. To get there you must run a gauntlet through the foos & pool tables…If you can get to the disco, you'll find that it makes Zelda's look like a football field….Uncle Sam's is just plain disgusting. The crowd is very young & suburban, but not necessarily hip. They apparently like loud, loud music, & that it is. If you retire to the glass encased upstairs lounge, the volume is bearable, but you'll have to wipe the smoke off your table..."

1981 advertisement: Thursday July 16-Saturday July 18 The Doug Maynard Band/one of the best bands around gets set to rock Moby's for 3 hot, crazy summer nights. Home of the only TRUE "Double" Drink."

1982 advertisement: TC Jammers (formerly Doug Maynard's Band) on Feb 14 Sunday All Day long….PLUS a special appearance by Warner Brothers Recording Artists /SUE ANN/ [photo]/& the Enterprise Band of Pleasure/And then from 8 p.m.l-12--more hot dance tunes from the T.C. Jammers/HOME OF THE GIANT DOUBLE" [NOTE: I would be surprised if Zom was a devotee of Doug Maynard or Sue Ann, who was signed to Warner Bros. to be the next "Prince".]

1983 survey/article noted Moby's had live music, electronic games, dancing & big screen TV.
===============
Thanks for the info on Moby's from the owner's family!!
VayVayMondamin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[NOTE: I would be surprised if Zom was a devotee of Doug Maynard or Sue Ann, who was signed to Warner Bros. to be the next "Prince".]

sue ann would've been pretty much like one of prince's very first female proteges as opposed to "the next prince", if things would've worked out betwixt the two of them (not like you may think--amazingly enough, they weren't romantically link'd...). from what i remember she pretty much wanted to do her own thing, so she split. i'm a bit of a prince geek, so i kinna know these things. heh. Embarassed

i like reading about stuff like this (i'm also a geek for city & rock histories as well)...more, please!
Ollie Stench

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then in 1980 the City Center was built across the street and everything changed downtown.

OK, I only went downtown a few times before City Center was built. What was raized to make way for said shopping center? I remember one of the big bank buildings burning on Thanksgiving, is that on the block where CC is now?
Finn McCool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Donaldson's block burned on Thanksgiving '82, so that wasn't it. Hmm...

Quote:
Other buildings that previously stood on this block include the Radisson Center, the Hotel Dyckman, the Minneapolis Gas & Light Company Building Addition, and the Medical Block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TCPUNK Forum Index -> • YE OLD SCHOOL All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: